ABOUT US:

image description

The Church History

The strides and growth of our church

Mount Pleasant Baptist Church was organized in 1866 in the old Floris School that was located on Frying Pan Road. The founders were Mary Ellen Naylor Bush, Rev. Fred Cook, Rev. Louis H. Bailey, Rev. William Smith and Brother Temple Cheeks. In 1882, Mount Pleasant was relocated to Horse Pen Road, now known as Coppermine Road, on land donated by Brother Henry Cook. The bell in the first church on Coppermine Road was donated in 1919 by Deacon Lewis Albert Bush, Sr. who was one of Mary Ellen Naylor Bush’s sons.church

Faithful pastors of the early church were:

Rev. Fred Cook
(1866-1882)
Rev. Louis H. Bailey
(1882-1896)
Rev. Trent T. Hedgman
(1896-1904)
Rev. Reuben Nickens
(1904-1906)
Rev. Oliver Wood
(1906-1911)
Rev. Bentley Westley
(1911-1913)

Following Rev. Westley in 1914, Rev. William L. Hill served prayerfully for nearly 50 years until failing health caused him to retire in July, 1964. Under his leadership many of the current ministries were organized. They included the Men’s Club, The Women’s Club, Senior Usher Board, Finance Committee, Senior choir, Deaconess Board and the Missionary Society. Sunday worship services were held the 2nd and 4th Sundays. All this eventually led to the building of a new church once located on Coppermine Road. Through the recommendation of Rev. Hill’s successor, Rev. Ronald Winters, he became “Pastor Emeritus.”

In 1965, Rev. Winters became pastor and under his leadership, the Youth Choir, Junior Usher Board, and the Youth Department was organized. The church welcomed the presence of its first “church nurse,” Sis. Edith White and the 3rd Sunday was designated as “Youth Day.” Rev. Winters shared Rev. Hill’s vision of a new church and continued to work towards organizing the building fund. Sunday morning worship services were expanded to 4 Sundays a month. Rev. Winters served as pastor for 7 years.

Rev. James P. Russell was installed as pastor in 1973. Under his leadership, the Benevolent Fund and the Building Committee were established.He also made preparations and worked toward implementing Mount Pleasant’s first Constitution and By-Laws.  Rev. Russell was the pastor for 5 years.

Rev. Lloyd O. Roberts pastured from October 1978-1986.  During Rev. Robert’s tenure, the Nurse’s Unit, The Education Scholarship Committee, Drama Club, The Gospel Chorus, New Member’s Club, The Sunbeams, the Young Adult Chorale Ensemble and the Food Bank were established.  The 5th Sunday was designated as Missionary Sunday and Bible Study was instituted as part of the weekly prayer services.  On November 24, 1979, Rev. Roberts turned the first shovel at groundbreaking ceremonies for a new Mount Pleasant Baptist Church on C0ppermine Road.  Our church family, accompanied by many friends and supporters marched into our new house of worship at 13615 Coppermine Road on Sunday, September 19, 1982.  There was a week of services following the dedication to celebrate Mount Pleasant’s 115th anniversary and Rev.  Roberts 3rd anniversary.  The cornerstone laying services were held on September 25, 1982.

On August 19, 1987, Rev. Randolph S. Witcher was installed as pastor and served until 1990.  Rev. Witcher brought spiritual vigor to the church body.  A powerful music ministry evolved along with a strong supportive ministerial staff.  Under his leadership, the United Voices and the Young Adult Chorale Ensemble was renamed The Choral Ensemble.  The Male Choir, the Inspirational Praise Ensemble, Prison Ministry, and Singles Ministry was formed.  Also, the early morning worship was added during his tenure.

From April through September 1991, Rev. Paul Grandberry served as temporary pastor.
In August 1992, Rev. Ronald Patrick was installed as pastor and served until June, 1994.  During his tenure, the church bus was purchased to transport senior citizens and the youth.  A strong spiritual fellowship developed among the men and the Men’s Ministry came into fruition.  The Male Choir was reorganized and renamed the Male Chorus.  The first annual Men’s Retreat occurred in July, 1993.

In April 1995, Rev. James L. Graham, Jr. was elected to pastor and was installed on September 16, 1995.  As we move into the future, we ask that God will continue to bless Pastor Graham as he leads us in accordance with the Will of God.  God gave Rev. Graham a vision for Mount Pleasant.

Under the pastoral leadership of Rev. Graham and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, there are numerous ministries and activities that have been added to our growing church family.  The Youth Ministry, Nursery Ministry, Praise and Dance Ministries, Step Team, Hospitality Ministry, the Multimedia Ministry, and Counseling Ministry to name a few.

On December 28, 1997, groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the building of God’s newest tabernacle.  We entered the doors of our present facility located here at 2516 Squirrel Hill Road on Saturday, May 1, 1999 with dedicatory and recognition services, followed by celebratory and praise services May 2nd thru May 7th, 1999.  Rev. Graham conducted our Cornerstone laying ceremony and Basement dedication on March 26, 2000.

The Mount Pleasant Baptist Church Bible Institute was established in 1999, Faith Bible College and Seminary (now called Faith Christian University), fall 2000, and the inception of the Mount Pleasant Baptist Church Christian Academy on September 5, 2000.

We now place more emphasis on Missions as a church and have Mission efforts and partners in the U.S., Kenya, Russia, Benin, Ghana, South Africa, Nigeria, Haiti and Liberia.  God has blessed us tremendously.  Our membership continuously grows in numbers and in the spirit of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  To Him, we give all the glory and honor.  We look forward to God’s blessings in the days ahead and We shall always be mindful of our motto:

“I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENS ME”  (Philippians 4:13)